As part of our commitment to residents and their families, JFGH created the Bruce K. Smith Sibling Network on behalf of siblings through social, emotional and educational resources.
The Network provides:
- Educational opportunities unique for siblings of adults with intellectual and other disabilities.
- Meaningful gathering opportunities for non-resident siblings to network and connect.
- Social opportunities designed to enhance sibling relationships.
- Emotional support for non-resident siblings.
SIBLINK, a quarterly e-newsletter of The Bruce K. Smith Sibling Network, provides siblings with information about events, links to articles, personal stories and research that is relevant to both local and out-of-town JFGH siblings. Read the latest SIBLINKs below:
- October 2017
- July 2017
- April 2017
- January 2017
- October 2016
- July 2016
- April 2016
- January 2016
- October 2015
The highlight of each SIBLINK issue is “Sibling Scribblings,” an article written by a fellow JFGH sibling who shares a personal story about the struggles and triumphs of being a sibling of an individual with disabilities. Read their stories below:
- October 2017: Perspective by Nick Cibel
- July 2017: Being Susie’s Brother by Joe Jolles
- April 2017: Everthing I Need to Know… I learned from my Brother by Lisa Cordell
- January 2017: There Should be a Secret Sign by Jill Zuchman
- October 2016: Transitions & Finding Balance by Dorrie Pilot
- July 2016: My Sister Was “Different” by Shakir Jackson-McDonald
- April 2016: An Honest Inventory: Guilt, Gratitude, Resentment & Acceptance by Grace Leonard
- January 2016: Man Plans and God Laughs? by David Fishback
- October 2015: Virtues My Brother Taught Me by Patty Aycock
If you would like to receive SIBLINK, please email email@example.com.
Are you on Facebook? Search Facebook Groups for JFGH, and you’ll find a private group specifically for JFGH siblings. Join the conversation! The Network is also planning events focused on siblings and family relationships. Be on the look out for more information as they are planned. To learn more about the Bruce K. Smith Sibling Network, please contact Beth K. Shapiro, LCSW-C, at 240.283.6018 or BShapiro@jfgh.org.